In this article, we've compiled the 30 best sleep apps to help you with those restless nights and to create a routine that will help conquer sleep problems.
This includes apps that:
- Help to tackle sleep issues head on
- Develop exercise and fitness plans for beginners
- Offer tons of dietary and smart eating tips
- Open your mind to the importance of well-being
It's no secret that sleep is a huge problem for many, a survey of 15,203 people conducted by Dreams is evidence for this:
Free Sleep Apps
Pzizz is one of the most technologically advanced sleep apps on the market.
A mixture of neurolinguistic programming, enchanting sound effects and binaural beats have been created to create a relaxing state of mind.
100 billion unique soundtracks can be created, so that your subconscious mind doesn't fall into a routine of hearing the exact same sounds.
Pzizz is great for those who are:
- Lacking Energy
- Experiencing High Stress Levels
- Not Achieving Uninterrupted Sleep
2. Sleep Well Hypnosis
Sleep Well Hypnosis is a highly-rated app which helps restless sleepers and those with insomnia in many ways. The app aims to:
- Help you learn to deal with anxiety.
- Change your mindset subconsciously.
- Sleep calmly, deeply and without any fuss.
Many users begin to feel and see a difference after just 1-3 weeks, when used on a daily basis.
With over 5 million+ downloads, many are seeing the benefits of this app.
3. Sleep Cycle
Waking up feeling refreshed is so important for a productive day ahead, and Sleep Cycle makes waking up easy.
Described as "the worlds number one self-help app", Digipill contains a number of "hypnotic audio pills" which help to:
5. Relax & Sleep Well
Easier said than done, right? Glenn Harrold's app might just be able to make this possible.
Relax and Sleep Well offers quality hypnosis and hypnotherapy, also described as one of the best free meditation apps on the market.
Sleepo offers 32 carefully crafted ambient sounds to help improve sleep and general relaxation.
Split into four groups, choose from nature sounds, city sounds, meditation sounds and rain sounds that help you sleep.
For those using it for healing and meditation purposes, choose from three different types of noise (white, pink and brown).
7. Nature Sounds Relax and Sleep
Lacking concentration is another trait that can affect our sleep, and with over half of the US population disengaged at work, simple apps like this can make a huge difference.
8. Sleep as Android
Did you know, mental distress is a cause and effect of oversleeping and according to the National Sleep Foundation, around 95% of us have no strict sleeping pattern.
Therefore, establishing a sleep pattern is important to not oversleeping, Sleep Android offers a helping hand with this issue.
It's built in smart alarm clock has sleep cycle tracking which will wake you gently and and the right time every time to ensure a productive day filled with positive energy.
Sleep Time+ contains an advanced sleep tracking alarm that tracks your sleep quality.
It then offers you advice on how you can sleep better and undisturbed.
No expensive fitness trackers are needed, this award-winning app is so advanced that it doesn't require any.
10. Sleep Genius
Sleep Genius is another highly-technically advanced app, and has gained recognition by Huffington Post and CBS.
It uses a neurosensory algorithm to help your brain get ready for sleep and guide your brain through each stage of the sleep cycle.
It has been carefully developed by sleep and neuroscience experts, the aim of the app is to help you enjoy the benefits of a physical, emotional and mentally stable nights sleep.
11. MotionX 24/7
MotionX 24/7 boasts a unique sleep tracking technology designed to help you sleep better whilst allowing you to wake up refreshed and energised.
It tracks and analyses our sleep patterns throughout the night allowing us to establish:
- A unique sleep cycle alarm
- Our resting hear rate during sleep
- Whether we snore or potentially suffer from sleep apnoea
Available on iTunes.
SleepBot is another highly rated sleep tracker created to help a soothing sleep.
The app contains a ton of features including:
- 10 custom designed alarm soundtracks
- Graphs and statistics to see how your sleep improves
- Quick action tips to help you sleep better
- Ambient noise to help you fall asleep
As an app that has been recognised by the US National Institute of Health, it's well worth exploring.
13. Dream Talk Recorder
Dream Talk Recorder records your dream talks (clue is in the name) and keeps a complete history of your recordings.
You can share your recordings via social media and help to establish how your dreaming might be affecting your sleep.
Plus, most of the recordings will just be hilarious to play back!
Free Exercise Apps
Although our list of free sleep apps all have a bunch of benefits and have worked for so many people (evident from the several million downloads and positive ratings), it's important that an overall healthy lifestyle is kept.
Cyclemeter is by far one of the most advanced cycling apps on the market.
It doesn't matter if you're not an experienced cyclist, maybe it's something you're looking to start perusing?
It essentially makes your smartphone a fitness computer, tracking your progress with precision.
App features include:
- Maps, graphs and zones to discover new and recommended routes
- Records a number of workouts and stores them to track progress
- Set up appropriate training plans dependent on your ability
- Share your progress with freinds via social media
And much more!
Available on iTunes.
15. Strava Running & Cycling
Strava is one of the best rated apps on the market that will:
- Record your physical activities
- Compare performance over time
- Allow you to connect with an active community
Track your running, cycling, or any physical activity for that matter, whilst gaining key stats on endurance, performance, elevation and much more.
Watch the video above to find out how to use the app, featuring Dave Erickson.
Fitocracy is one of the best community fitness and personal coaching apps available.
Work alongside experts to reach your fitness goals and be part of a community who are all looking to create a healthier lifestyle.
Some of the features include:
- Free workout routines from the best fitness coaches
- Personalised nutrition programmes
- Daily inspiration and conversation
17. Couch to 5K
If you consider yourself a bit of a couch slouch, start your running career with the Couch to 5K app.
It's realistic programme has helped thousands of new runners ready for a 5K in just 9 weeks!
Virtual coaches will keep you motivated before, during and after a run.
Plus, tons of stats and progress reports are included to see how your developing.
18. Nike Training Club
Access 130+ free body workouts to suit your level of exercise with Nike+ Training Club.
Whether you're looking to improve your endurance, strength or want to give yoga a try, this app has it all.
The best bit is you don't have to spend hours a day working out as they provide short workouts that give real results.
Get fully motivated with inspired workouts from a range of athletes including:
• Serena Williams
• Kevin Hart
• Kyrie Irving
• Skylar Diggins
• Rory McIlroy
19. The Johnson & Johnson Official 7 Minute Workout
No time? No problem.
The Johnson & Johnson 7 minute workout offers a fast, simple and science-based way to workout.
The app includes:
- 72 different exercises (in HD video)
- 22 unique workouts
- The ability to control music during a workout
- Personalised workouts based on your fitness levels
- The option to increase/decrease the intensity of a workout at any time
20. My ASICS Run Training
Whether you're just starting out or wanting to train for a 10K marathon, My ASICS has a personalised training plan which will guide you in the right direction.
The app has a ton of features which allow for a personalised running experience, including:
- Real-time position and running route (via GPS)
- The ability to track your total run time, distance and average speed.
- An online logbook where you can save your routes, sync your runs and share achievements.
21. Charity Miles: Walking & Running Distance Tracker
Charity Miles offers a unique running experience by allowing you to get fit whilst raising money for charity.
Whether you're earning money by walking, running or cycling, you can track your fitness progress whilst seeing how much money you've earned.
Members have already raised over $2 million for a number of charities including Stand Up To Cancer, Alzheimer's Association, Charity:Water and many more.
Free Healthy Food Apps
The relationship between food and sleep is one of the most important to living a healthy, happy and fulfilled life.
For those who need that extra spark of motivation to lose weight, DietBet allows you to get paid whilst losing weight
How does it work?
It's simple. You join a group and bet on yourself to lose weight.
If you meet your weight loss goal by the end of the game, you split the pot of money with the other successful players.
The app allows you to choose from two games:
- Kickstarter - Lose 4% of your weight within 4 weeks
- Transformer - Lose 10% of your weight in 6 months
Perhaps your out of practice when it comes to cooking from scratch, or you have no experience whatsoever.
SideChef offers simple, healthy step-by-step recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner along with snack and dessert ideas.
The app was built in order to inform, inspire and allow us to have fun whilst preparing food which is good for us.
Discover 3,500+ step-by-step recipes along with integrated timers and voice instructions.
24. EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry
You've most likely ended up on the EatingWell website when looking for healthy recipe ideas.
Didn't you know they have an app?
Healthy in a Hurry by EatingWell offers around 200 of there healthiest and fastest recipes ready to browse on your phone.
App features include:
- Fast recipes with preparation time no longer than 45 minutes
- Preloaded recipes for instant offline access
- Nutritional information for each recipe
- The ability to filter recipes by main ingredient
If you consider yourself a bit of a Gordon Ramsey in the kitchen, then Pepperplate is the app for you.
Manage your recipes, create your own menus and shop for ingredients with ease - making cooking simple and time efficient.
Other app features include:
- Multiple cooking timers for meal perfection
- Create your own recipes or edit existing ones
- Important recipes from your favourite websites for easy access
- Create meal schedules dependant on your requirements.
- Organise your shopping list in to categories for ease
26. Change4Life Sugar Smart
Known as one the most addictive substances known to man, sugar has even been considered the world's most popular popular drug.
Sugar is also one of the most overlooked ingredients in our food, and if eaten in excess can be a leading source of weight gain and can even affect the way you sleep.
With the Sugar Smart app, developed by Change4Life, you can see the total amounts of sugar in our everyday food and drinks.
The app was created to raise awareness over the issue and to encourage us to make healthier choices in terms of our sugar intake.
Free Well-Being Apps
Headspace has quickly become one of the most respected free meditation apps on the market.
Developed by the Anxiety Disorders Association of British Columbia, MindShift is another hugely respected app created to stop your anxieties taking over your day-to-day life.
29. Live Happy
In case you didn't already know, Live Happy Magazine also has an app.
30. My Mood Tracker
As human beings, we display a whole host of different emotions, and on occasions it can be quite a lot to deal with.
- Track your mood and emotional state throughout the day
- Track specific aspects to see how they affect your mood i.e. sleep, exercise, stress.
- Helpful reminder system (for those who are forgetful).
- A history of you're notes entered in a detailed chart format.
Keeping track of how you feel is important to improving your mental health and overall well-being, an app well worth exploring to see if it's right for you.